Wednesday 13 April 2022

Vanessa Caro speaks about her mother

For many, our mothers are the real MVPs in our lives. ✨


I moved to the Philippines from Hawaii with my parents at eight years old. At the time, it was a big adjustment for a kid who left everything she knew. After 50 years of hard work, my father was ready to retire and return to his true home - Iloilo.


I cried in my mother's lap every day, wondering how I could get back to Hawaii. While I remember being in agony, I'm grateful for my parents moving to the Philippines because I can't imagine a life without its culture ingrained in me.


While I speak of past challenges, as a young adult today, I can't help but think of my mother, who had to adjust her life because of her love for me and my father. She was a professional Polynesian performer and designer in her prime for over 30 years in Waikiki. How could she pack up her things and leave?


As we celebrate International Mother Language Day today, I hope we also remember the people who teach us the language. I'm honored to have learned the Hiligaynon language (and continue learning it), but even more proud that after 15 years of living in Iloilo, my mother, part Visayan, instilled the importance of the English language. Without her, I couldn't communicate with people worldwide, share this story, and post this today. 💗


#internationalmotherlanguageday

#MotherLanguageDay

#iloiloprovince

Vanessa Caro and her mother 


No comments:

Post a Comment